Shin Godzilla

Ever wonder what a Godzilla movie written and directed by Armando Iannucci would be like? Well, wonder no more. Shin Godzilla is the film for you. Shin Godzilla translates into English as “Lower Leg Godzilla,” which is odd, considering that during its North American theatrical run, it was billed as Godzilla: Resurgence, which is an […]

Gojira/Godzilla (Criterion Collection)

Haruo Nakajima past away yesterday. I know that name will mean nothing to 99.9% of you,  but to the other 0.1%, he’s kind of a big deal. Nakajima was the actor inside the Godzilla costume for every one of the films made between 1954 and 1972. After that, he worked in the Toho Studios bowling […]

Star Wars: Rebel Rising

But first, a diversion: There are a number of internet posts comparing and contrasting The Force Awakens with Rogue One. The general consensus is that each film has its strengths and weaknesses, and neither is flawless. When we meet Rey in The Force Awakens, she is scavenging a crashed Star Destroyer. She loads parts and […]

Doctor Who “The Power of the Daleks”

About three and a half years ago, we celebrated the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who, and now it’s been five decades since William Hartnell regenerated into Patrick Troughton. My how time flies. Or maybe it doesn’t. For some of us, it goes slowly and in order. But before long, it will have been a half […]

Baby Driver

It’s hard to describe Baby Driver to anyone who hasn’t seen an Edgar Wright film, but this one is unlike his previous work. The Cornetto Trilogy contains variations on a theme, while Scott Pilgrim vs the World is based on a series of graphic novels. Baby Driver belongs to the heist/one more job category. This […]

Star Wars: Darth Vader – End of Games

Kieron Gillen’s run on Darth Vader has come to an close and there are some loose ends to tie up. Doctor Aphra is no longer part of the Sith Lord’s inner circle, therefore she is surplus to requirements. Don’t feel sorry for her; she lands on her feet ¬†and in her own comic. Which is […]

Star Wars: Last Flight of the Harbinger

What if I told you a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia Organa, and Han Solo stole an Imperial Star Destroyer? Well, it happened. So, that’s a thing. It’s a thing that happened. They did a thing. And it’s canon. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy the story, […]